8 oz kidney beans or Chulent Bean Mix
8 oz barley
2 lbs cubed meat *
2 Tbs Onion Soup Mix
2 Tbs garlic powder
¼ cup red wine
salt pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
*Ideal meat for this is kalka which is a muscle meat that has very little fat and is quite tough unless slow cooked.
The optional addition of a few soup bones gives it a rich and savory flavor.
1) Soak beans in water
2) Chop onions into bite-size pieces
3) Chop potatoes into bite-size pieces
4) Place drained beans, barley, stew meat, potatoes, onion, and stew meat in crock pot and mix
5) Add onion soup mix, garlic powder, salt, pepper
6) Fill with water to cover
7) Place entire kishka on top.
Alternative: Substitute 1.5 oz whiskey (scotch or bourbon) for the wine